Women in Technology Scholarship
Meg Whitman. Mary Barra. Virginia Rometty. Susan Wojcicki. Melinda Gates.
Five of the most powerful STEM leaders in the world. All of them women. All of them breaking boundaries for future female leaders, engineers, designers, creative directors, product developers, and CEOs.
And, all of them an inspiration to support female leaders in technology.
Here are some more fast facts about female leaders:
- Women earn 60% of all bachelor degrees, 60% of all master’s degrees, 48% of all medical degrees, and a startling 18% of all STEM degrees.
- 59% of the college-educated, entry-level workforce are women.
- Only 4.6% of all Fortune 500 CEOs are female.
- Only 24% of all STEM positions are held by women; only 9% of those women hold leadership positions.
You could probably find a lot of research to explain why women earn more degrees but fewer CEO positions. But what we want to know is how to balance the equation.
And, if you’re a female studying science, technology, engineering, or math (STEM), you probably have an answer. Which is why we’re proud to award one $2,500 scholarship each semester to a women who can tell us which female leader most inspires them to pursue their dreams, and why.
Think you’re up to the challenge? Read on to learn more about submission deadlines and requirements.
*As of Fall 2017, we introduced a second part of the submission process: video supplement. Both an essay and video are required for all submissions.
In less than 1,000 words, tell us which female leader at a technology company inspires you, and why. She can be a CEO, a product developer, a creative director, an engineer, or anything in between. But she must be a leader in STEM.
- All essays can be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org with a subject line of “Women in Technology Scholarship – [Your Name].”
- Please attach them as a Word document or PDF. Essays submitted in the email body cannot be processed.
- Please also attach a copy of your unofficial transcript as proof of your enrollment. If you are currently enrolled in your first semester, please send a copy of your acceptance letter. No other alternative forms of documentation will be accepted.
- In the body of your email, please include the following exactly:
- First Name Last Name
- Email address
- Phone number
- The school you are attending.
- Your major/concentration
- Expected Graduation year
Please record a short video in response to this question: “What would the Buildium Women in Technology Scholarship mean for your education?”
- Video entries must be 1-2 minutes in length and can be recorded using a smartphone.
Please state your name in the video and repeat the prompt when answering the question. Example: “Hi, my name is Lauren Mason. Winning the Buildium Women in Technology Scholarship would mean that I am able to start next semester with a little less stress knowing that my book fees are covered and…”
- If shot using a smartphone, please record it in landscape (not portrait) mode. Phone should be held longways/horizontally.
- Be CREATIVE and make it personal! You can talk from the heart, do a skit, do a demonstration, walk us through your school or classrooms—anything!
To be considered fully eligible, video submissions must meet the following criteria:
- Videos must answer the prompt listed above. “What would the Buildium Women in Technology Scholarship mean for your education?”
- Videos must be original and should not include musical overlay.
- Videos can be sent as a link (if stored on YouTube or Vimeo), emailed with your essay submission if the file size is allowed, or it can be sent separately as a TEXT MESSAGE to the following email: email@example.com. Please remember to include your name! 🙂
You must be a female enrolled in an accredited undergraduate or graduate degree program in the United States or Canada, studying Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics (STEM).
Applicants must be 18 years of age or older at the date of submission and in good academic standing with their college or university. We cannot accept applications from high school students, regardless of age. This scholarship is only for students CURRENTLY enrolled and actively studying in an undergraduate or graduate level program.
Our Fall 2019 Scholarship opens on October 1st and closes on November 1st. We will begin accepting applications again for our Spring scholarship rotation on March 15, 2020 and it closes on April 15, 2020.
**We operate under the same cycle every year.**
Who are some of the past winners?
- Shivani Shukla, Fall 2017
- Jordan Harris, Spring 2017
- Abigail Centers, Fall 2016
- Tabitha Arnoldy, Fall 2015
- Harshita Guduru, Spring 2015
- Lakshitha Rajendran, Fall 2014
Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any other questions, and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can.
Applications submitted outside of the 1 month acceptance window will not be read or considered.
All Right Reserved
Buildium reserves the right to terminate this promotion without notice as deemed appropriate to Buildium LLC. Notwithstanding said termination, the scholarships will be awarded as set forth in these Official Rules.
Limitation of Liability
Buildium LLC is not responsible for any incorrect or inaccurate information, technical error, or human error which may occur in the processing of entries and submissions. Buildium assumes no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect or alteration of entries. Buildium reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Buildium Women in Technology Scholarship, in whole or in part, at any time.
Selection of Winners
Following the November 1st, 2018, deadline, Buildium will contact the winner via email within 3 months. One (1) winner will be selected from among the applicants, notified and announced by January 31, 2019. The odds of winning depend on the quality of each entry. The decisions of judges are final. Winners will be notified via email. Acceptance of award constitutes permission (except where prohibited by law) to use winners names, cities, states, likenesses and/or voices for purposes of advertising, promotion and publicity without additional compensation. Awards will be sent to the winners after all required proof and documentation is received.
Terms and Conditions
By entering, participants agree to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of Buildium, which shall be final. All applicable federal, provincial, state, and local laws and regulations apply. Except where prohibited by law, participation constitutes the participant’s consent to Buildium’s use of their names, cities and states of residence, and entries (videos) for advertising, publicity, and promotional purposes in any media, online or offline, without further permission, consent, payment or other consideration. If, for any reason, the promotion is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures or any other causes which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of the promotion, Buildium reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the promotion and to select winners from among all eligible entries received prior to the date of termination. Buildium reserves the right to amend or modify the Terms & Conditions at any time during the promotion.