How environmentally friendly are your properties? Do you know that even making a few small changes can save you — and your tenants and owners — hundreds and maybe thousands of dollars a year? It’s true.
To help you know where and how to save by going green, we’ve created Buildium’s Green Building Guide, an in-depth tool for property managers and landlords. The guide focuses on ten areas of green building in particular:
- Lighting: You may be surprised to learn how much energy is wasted through lighting. The types of bulbs and fixtures we use play a part in staying green-friendly.
- Roofing/Exterior: Turn your roof into an energy creator, not an energy waster. Use the right kind of insulation and look into installing solar panels.
- Appliances: There are many ways to improve the efficiency of appliances such as refrigerators, dishwashers, and clothes washers and dryers.
- Flooring: Choosing eco-friendly flooring and carpeting is easy if you know what to look for. Consider using flooring that comes from recyclable materials.
- Insulation: Energy literally evaporates from poorly insulated roofs and siding. Make sure you’re using the right kinds of insulation in your home.
- HVAC: Your heating, ventilation, and air conditioning system uses a lot of energy. There are many ways that you can keep energy waste at a minimum.
- Windows: Even when your windows are fully closed, air can leak out and sunlight can seep in. Be sure that your windows don’t flush energy down the drain.
- Foundation/Site: Make sure to insulate not only your home, but also your foundation. Use the right materials to get the most out of your home’s base.
- Water fixtures/faucets: You know the saying “don’t waste water.” Put it into action by remembering to turn off the faucet when it’s not in use.
- Electricity: Choose to go green with your electricity source. Use electricity that comes from environmentally-friendly sources such as windmills and solar panels.
Read the whole guide here.Read more on Maintenance & Improvements
See More in Maintenance & Improvements