Make the right rental decision with Buildium’s easy-to-use online tenant screening
Buildium and TransUnion SmartMove™ have partnered to make running a credit and background check as easy as a click of the mouse. Only $12 per screening.
Each credit and background check includes:
- TransUnion’s exclusive rental recommendation
- A full credit report with credit score
- A complete background check and identity verification
- Automatic linking to the complete rental application
- Request a credit and background check in Buildium.
- Buildium emails the applicant who uses SmartMove’s website to approve and complete the credit and background check
- The approved credit and background check appears in Buildium once the screening is completed.
- Credit history
SmartMove gathers data such as lines of credit provided by financial institutions, collection accounts, bankruptcy proceedings and other public financial records.
- Additional risk factors
SmartMove accesses comprehensive criminal background data and examines income-to-rent ratio and payment histories as well as criminal, terrorism and fraud databases.
- Advanced analytics
TransUnion applies highly predictive modeling to the comprehensive screening data to determine the risk level for individual or groups of applicants.
- SmartMove credit report
An easy-to-read credit report format highlights specific tenant risk factors.
- Tailored recommendation
Using proven credit data and advanced analytics, SmartMove provides a simple, straight-forward leasing recommendation based on your specific property’s risk criteria.
- Full Background check
TransUnion SmartMove covers national and statewide criminal records and provides results within hours. TransUnion’s criminal database is continually updated and is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.Instant searches also include data for:
- America’s Most Wanted
- FBI’s Most Wanted
- More than 15 terrorist databases
- National Sex Offender Public Registry
- U.S. Marshals Drug Enforcement Administration
- U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF)
- U.S. Secret Service
- U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP)
- U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC)
- What information do I need to run a credit and background check?
- All you need is the some basic lease information and the applicant’s unique email address. SmartMove collects the applicant’s personal information so you don’t need to!
- Do I need a Social Security Number?
- No. SmartMove collects the applicant’s personal information so that you don’t need to.
- Do I need to be approved before using this service?
- No. The SmartMove service is available to every Buildium customer as soon as you sign up. There is no site visit, application, or documentation required.
- Can I complete the online process instead of my applicant?
- Your applicant must complete the process. Part of the extensive background search asks the applicant questions only they would know. This is to ensure you receive the correct identity of the individual.
- How do I request a credit and background check?
- In the navigation bar, go to Rentals > Applicants.
- Select the desired applicant.
- Go to Screening > Order credit and background check.
- Complete the required information on the form.
- Click submit.
- Can I purchase one of the two reports?
- The credit report and background report are grouped together in a package. They cannot be purchased separately.
- Does the credit and criminal background check report on activity outside the United States?
- No. At this time the credit and criminal reports search only for financial and criminal activity within the United States.
- How long does it take to receive the credit and background report?
- Once the applicant approves your request and the application is generated, your report appears in Buildium in just a few minutes.
- Can I see the process from the applicant’s perspective?
- Yes! You can view a demo of the process on SmartMove’s website. So you know: The demo shows the renter paying for the application. With Buildium, you have this option or you can opt to pay for the application yourself.